Cascades Humane Society offers resources that help reunite lost pets with their owners. If you have lost or found a stray animal, please follow the steps below to help reunite the pet with their owner.
What to do if you find a pet
- If the animal is wearing a collar with ID tags or a nameplate, contact the owner immediately. (Keep in mind that animals with long fur can have tags hidden from view.)
- If you cannot contact the owner or if the animal has no ID tags, call the Jackson County Animal Shelter at (517) 788-4464 to file a report. You can also drop off strays there.
- Call Cascades Humane Society at (517) 787-7387 or email email@example.com to file a report.
- Place a “Found” ad in your local newspaper (there may be a charge). Check the lost/found section in the paper every day.
- Put signs in the area where the dog was found, including schools and veterinary clinics.
- If you find the owner after making a report with Cascades Humane Society and the Jackson County Animal Shelter, please let both groups know.
- CHS does not pick up animals.
What to do if you lose your pet
- Call Cascades Humane Society at (517) 787-7387 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Call Jackson County Animal Shelter at (517) 788-4464 to file a lost report.
- Put a “Lost” ad in the newspaper (there may be a charge). Check the lost/found section of the paper every day.
- Put signs up in your neighborhood, especially in the area where your pet was last seen. The signs should include a description of your pet, where it was lost, your phone number, and a color picture of your pet. Post flyers at veterinary clinics, pet stores, grocery stores, community boards, CHS, everywhere.
- Talk to your neighbors. Ask if they know where your pet is. Give them a description of your pet and your phone number. Talk to your mail carrier and paper carrier.
- Visit the Jackson County Animal Shelter as often as you can to check for your pet.
- If you live near the county line, visit the Animal Control facility or Humane Society in the neighboring county as well.
- Hillsdale County Humane Society – (517) 523-2308
- Humane Society of Huron Valley – (734) 662-5585
- South Central Michigan Humane Society – (269) 963-1796
- Capital Area Humane Society – (517) 626-6060
- Ingham County Animal Control – (517) 676-8370
- Eaton County Animal Control – (517) 543-5755 or (517) 482-8803
- Clinton County Animal Control – (517) 224-5116
Remember to not give up. Pets have been found months after they were first lost.
If, and when, you find your pet, remember to remove your flyers and notify the
organizations about your success story.